Cross Country League 2017
The club enters the ‘Up and Running’ SYCAA (South Yorkshire County Athletics Association) Cross Country League each year.
There are races for Junior Boys and Junior Girls, Senior Women and Veterans and Senior Men.
The series has now finished – congratulations to everyone who took part.
15 Oct – Longley Park, Sheffield (Host club: City of Sheffield & Dearne)
29 Oct – Winterhill, Kimberworth (Host Club: Kimberwrth Striders & AC)
19 Nov – Penistone Showground (Host Club: Penistone Footpath Runners AC)
Another Cross Country event ticked off for the year on a sunny (but cold) day out at Penistone Showground. Time based results are now available from SYCAA:
17 Dec – Kiveton Community Woodland (Host Club: Rotherham Harriers & AC)
The final Cross Country race of the season was held on a wet and icy morning, when the words ‘why do we do this?’ may have been muttered once or twice. Thanks to SYCAA for the results and another excellent series.
2016 results can be found here
Congratulations to everyone who took part – we had another great series in the mud!
To run for the club you must be:
- A member of the club!
- Be registered with England Athletics as 1st claim for cross country (not for U/11s)
- Wearing a club vest or shirt. Shirts will be available for sale at race 1 (seniors blue Ron Hill Running Vests £20, juniors red t-shirts)
Ages apply for the whole season and for most age groups are calculated at 31 August 2017. This is slightly different to UK Athletics rule 507, because there is an Under 11 age group. There is a different rule for Veterans (see below).
Under 11 Competitors must be 8 by the day of the race. School Y5 & Y6 and some Y4
Under 13 11 and 12 years old. School Y7 & Y8
Under 15 13 and 14 years old. School Y9 & Y10
Under 17 15 and 16 years old. School Y11 & Y12
Juniors 17, 18 & 19 years old
Seniors 20 and over
Veterans Over 40, 50, 60 & 65 for Men / Over 35, 45, 55 & 65 for Women on the day of competition (date of first race for individual awards).
Young athletes who are potential club members may compete for a club in all Under 15 age groups.
Athletes must be registered with England Athletics and must be first or second claim members of South Yorkshire Clubs affiliated to England Athletics to be eligible for individual or team awards in League or Championship events. This is the sole qualification for any award.
- Juniors (U11 – U17) – check you know your age group. Ages are taken from 31 August 2017. For example, if you were still 14 on that day, you will be U15 for all four fixtures, even if your 15th birthday is 1 September.
- You must be aged at least 8 on the day of the first fixture in order to compete.
- Vets – your age is as on the day of the first league fixture.
- Your number is your number for the whole season. Hang on to it. You can’t give/sell it to someone else.
- Register in exactly the name which is on your EA/UKA competition licence. This is important for verification purposes.